On the 240th anniversary of the Battles of Saratoga, SAR, DAR and C.A.R members
and guests came together for an annual wreath laying event at the DAR Monument
at Stop 2 within the Saratoga National Historical Park. We were blessed by sunny
skies and above average temperatures. A group of compatriots and some of their
wives from the Ohio Society SAR made the trip specifically for this event!
The ceremony began with the colors being posted alongside the DAR monument. The
Color Guard duties were performed by members of the 2nd Continental Artillery
Regiment, Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR and Ohio Society SAR.
Saratoga Chapter NSDAR Regent Heather Mabee opened the program by providing some
background regarding the DAR Monument itself as well as the historical significance
of the location. Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR President Douglas Gallant followed
with some period accounts of the reactions in London, Paris and the States regarding
the ultimate surrender of General Burgoyne in October 1777. Jack Bredenfoerder
of the Cincinnati Chapter, Ohio Society SAR brought greetings.
The number of wreaths presented this year exceeded that in any recent years. The
actual presentation of the wreaths was performed by the following:
- Peter Goebel, National Trustee NSSAR
- Dennis Marr, Past President Empire State Society SAR
- Lee Wilkerson, Secretary Ohio Society SAR
- Corinne Scirocco, Past Regent Saratoga Chapter NSDAR
- Thomas Dunne, Registrar Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR
- Tim Mabee, President Vermont Society SAR
- Susan Jackson, Regent Schenectada Chapter NSDAR
- Jack Bredenfoerder, President Cincinnati Chapter SAR
- Kristen Moore, Regent Gen. Peter Gansevoort Chapter NSDAR
- William Robert Hill, Treasurer Hocking Valley Chapter SAR
- Dr. Michael Gunn, Ohio Society SAR
- Elizabeth Oxaal, President Schuyler Society C.A.R.
- Fiona Dolton-Coons, President Bemis Heights Society C.A.R.
- Shari Wilkerson, Secretary Women's Auxiliary Ohio Society SAR
Following the presentation of the wreaths a musket salute was executed
by members of the Ohio Society SAR. This was a fitting tribute. The
ceremony was then brought to a close following the retiring of the colors.
Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR President Douglas Gallant (L) and Saratoga
Chapter NSDAR Regent Heather Mabee (R) with the musket unit and Color Guard
The Ohio Society SAR members providing the musket salute.
All of the DAR members present at the ceremony.
All of the SAR members present at the ceremony.